The history of Hye begins in 1880 Hye ( Hiram G Brown ) moved back to Blanco co and settled here. Hye Brown was born in Mississippi on August 4th 1853, came to Texas with his parents at the age of 13 in 1866 settling in Gonzales county. The family moved to Blanco county in 1872 and three weeks later Willis T brown Hye’s father died and is buried in the Blanco cementry.In 1874 Hye went back to Gonzales and married Margaret Ann Steen.
The first store Hye built was located just down the hill from the present day building, in 1883 a flood took almost everything they had! They built a new store on higher ground and reopened for business, This building is the east wing of the old dance hall across the highway from today’s store.
Hye went broke in 1884 selling things to people that did not pay! but through hard work regained control in 1885!
Hye decided the area needed a post office and in January 1886 he applied to the United States Postmaster General for a post office and on April 17′ 1886 The Hye Post Office was established with Hye Brown as Postmaster! He served until 1917.
Following the establishment of the post office the community became know as Hye !